We’ve talked about quite a few nice places to eat while you’re in Singapore – there’s a plethora of awesome restaurants, coffee joints, brunch places, and more.
One of the things we haven’t mention so far, however, are bars! So, let’s correct that oversight right now!
Bars are one of the best places to visit as a tourist, regardless of where you are. They give you a great insight into the modern culture of the city, the let you meet the locals in an environment that’s much more open and relaxed than everyday life. Of course, like most other things, the experience one gets in bars is purely subjective – people like different types of music, different ambiance, etc. Still, we’re here to help, so we’ll try our best to list the 5 best bars in Singapore. If we miss some of your favorites, don’t be mad – there are a lot of truly great places here and the best we can all do is to simply enjoy them!
So, in no particular order:
- 1 – Altitude. Are you feeling a bit tired of all the commotion in Singapore? That’s understandable, it is a place that attracts a lot of people. So why not take a moment and get above all the noise and visit the city’s highest bar? Located at 282 meters above sea level, 1 – Altitude is a great three-in-one place that houses an al fresco bar (or the 1 – Altitude itself), the dance club Altimate, as well as the award-winning restaurant Stellar. All in all, the 1 – Altitude is not just a great bar, it’s one of the coolest places in Singapore!
Level 61, 1 Raffles Place
Nearest MRT: Raffles Place
- Sum Yi Tai. If you’re looking for something a bit different and want to plunge into the culture of Singapore, check out Sum Yi Tai. It’s fascinating restaurant-bar, located in a heritage shop house that’s based on a 1980s Hong Kong theme. On the first floor of this 3-floor delight you can try some Chinese tapas or an XO carrot cake. On the second floor you’ll find a dining club, and on the third floor – a great reservation-only rooftop bar.
25 Boon Tat Street
Nearest MRT: Telok Ayer
- The Beast. Now that sounds like a place to visit, doesn’t it? It certainly is – freshly-baked cornbread, delicious pulled pork hash, cheese and mac burgers, chicken and waffles, and much more – a great selection of Southern treats for any taste. This cool bourbon bar is located in hip Kampong Glam precinct and is even open on Sundays.
17 Jalan Klapa
Nearest MRT: Bugis
- The Library. Pssst, do you want to hear a secret? Well, don’t look so uneasy – everyone knows it anyway. The Library is one of the most famous bars not only in Singapore, but in the world as a whole. But that’s not the secret – the secret is that its entrance is a… well… a bookshelf. Yes, it’s an appropriately named bar. To go through the bookshelf you’ll need to speak the password. Don’t worry – you can easily get that from the next-door British-style bistro, The Study. Once you’re inside, you’ll be greeted by a pleasant, subdued and alluring interior and great cocktails.
47 Keong Saik Road
Nearest MRT: Outram Park
- House of Dandy. No list of Singapore bars would be complete without the House of Dandy. Built with a fascinating 1920s feel to it, the House of Dandy is a place that will launch you back a whole century, in the times of Wilde, Fitzgerald and Lewis. Whiskey, boutique spirits, cocktails, and cigars – everything to give you one unforgettable evening.
74 Tras Street
Nearest MRT: Tanjong Pagar
And there you have them – the 5 best (in our humble opinion) bars in Singapore! Enjoy!